UCI regularly administers the University of California Undergraduate Experience Survey (UCUES), a longitudinal online census of all undergraduate students in the UC system. It is conducted during the spring quarter of even numbered years, and hosted by the UC Office of the President. All undergraduate students who are at least 18 years old are invited to participate.
At the Center for Assessment and Applied Research, UCUES data is the primary source for providing campus leaders with insight into the undergraduate student experience. UCUES results are consistently incorporated into the academic program review process, providing a comprehensive assessment of academic engagement, student satisfaction with instruction and advising, perceptions of campus climate, time allocation, and post-graduation plans.
UCUES Survey Instruments, Reports, and Response Rates
|Year||UCI Survey||UCI Results||UCI Response Rate||UC Response Rate|
|2016||2016 Survey||2016 Results||38%||33%|
|2014||2014 Survey||2014 Results||45%||37%|
|2012||2012 Survey||2012 Results||41%||36%|
|2010||2010 Survey||2010 Results||47%||43%|
|2008||2008 Survey||2008 Results||40%||39%|
|2006||2006 Survey||2006 Results||48%||38%|
|2004||2004 Survey||2004 Results||39%||34%|
|2002||2002 Survey||2002 Results||29%||24%|
UCUES Sample Sizes and Historical Notes
- At UCI, 9,302 of 24,609 students responded (38% response rate).
- Systemwide, 63,129 of 191,095 students responded (33% response rate).
- At UCI, 10,193 of 22,860 students responded (45% response rate, #1 in UC System)
- At UCI, 8,726 of 21,342 students responded (41% response rate, #2 in UC System)
- In the UC System, 62,499 of 172,873 students responded (36% response rate)
- In 2012, the UC Office of the President began hosting UCUES.
- At UCI, 10,202 of 21,586 students responded (47% response rate)
- In the UC System, 74,410 of 171,859 students responded (43% response rate)
- At UCI, 8,625 of 21,535 students responded (40% response rate)
- In the UC System, 63,528 of 162,259 students responded (39% response rate)
- At UCI 9,430 of 19,687 students responded (48% response rate, #1 in UC System)
- In the UC System, 58,047 of 153,173 students responded (38% response rate)
- At UCI, 7,422 of 19,247 students responded (39% response rate)
- In the UC System, 51,819 of 153,672 students responded (34% response rate)
- In 2004 OSR-CS at UC Berkeley began hosing UCUES.
- At UCI, 2,520 of 8,656 students responded (29% response rate)
- In the UC System, 16,623 of 67,910 students responded (24% response rate)
- This was the first year UCUES was administered. At UCI, only first and fourth year students were invited to participate. The 2002 UCUES was hosted by the Social Science Survey Center at UC Santa Barbara.