Learning Outcomes for East Asian Studies M.A./Ph.D.
PLO 1. Core Knowledge
Our students will gain an understanding of various topics, approaches, and an area of specialization. They will also have adequate historical coverage.
They will demonstrate advanced research knowledge of one East Asian language, and sometimes reading knowledge of a second foreign language as needed.
Students will demonstrate competence in their field of speciality.
Students will demonstrate capacity to carry out a sustained research project.
PLO 2. Research Methodology
Students will gain an understanding of research at the graduate level.
Students will engage in extensive research at the graduate level in order to write a dissertation expected to lead to the first book.
PLO 3. Pedagogy
- Our students will be able to teach both language classes and content courses in their area of specialization.
PLO 4. Scholarly Communication
Our students will:
- gain familiarity with current scholarly questions in a range of academic fields
- present their work in progress in on-campus forums
- present papers at conferences
- submit papers to professional journals
PLO 5. Professionalization
- Our students will be able to perform well in interviews, discuss their research and teaching competently.
We’re here to help. Please contact Venette Van Duyn to request services.