Demographic and Social Analysis M.A. Learning Outcomes
PLO 1. Core Knowledge
- Demonstrate a general knowledge of major theories, issues, and research findings in the fields of population studies and social demography.
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge of demographic analysis sufficient to carry out basic demographic research.
PLO 2. Research Methods and Analysis
- Understand the array of tools available for demographic research. Such tools include demographic modeling and empirical analysis (statistics).
- Understand and critically evaluate research in their area of demographic or social analysis.
- Plan and conduct an independent research project guided by previous research, theory, and applied work.
PLO 3. Scholarly Communication
- Structure a coherent academic argument that rigorously presents and evaluates evidence to support their claims.
- Review and cogently synthesize relevant literature.
- Write at a level and style of English consistent with that found in leading academic journals.
- Understand and properly use styles of citing, referencing, and formatting found in academic research outlets.
- Effectively present research in both oral and written presentations.
PLO 4. Professionalism
- Prepare manuscripts or research reports that meet standards of their profession.
- Collegially evaluate others’ research and respond appropriately to suggestions and critiques of their own research.
- Participate in professional meetings.
- Develop professional networks.
- Undertake research ethically and adhere to tenets of academic honesty.
PLO 5. Independent Research
- Develop their own research projects that meet high standards of theoretical and methodological rigor.
- Design independent research in accordance with the standards in the field under the advisement of program faculty.
- Produce scholarship that is suitable for presentation and publication in relevant professional outlets.
We’re here to help. Please contact Venette Van Duyn to request services.